Remembering My Grandfather Cardon

I had somewhat limited interaction with

My Dad, me and Grandfather Cardon when he came to speak at my farewell

my Grandfather Cardon. I have often wondered why. It may be related to the fact that my Grandmother died before Dad married and thus was not there to invite and insist on visits from her grand kids. I do remember a few visits: one time when we were very little we visited him and his second wife, Ida. They were living in a railroad box car which they had turned into a temporary home. It was an old one that had been removed from the track and put on their property. We played a trick on them. When we knocked on their door Mom and Dad hid so that it looked like 2 little kids were mysteriously at their door. Ida said to Grandpa “its 2 children”. She didn’t recognize us, perhaps Grandpa would have. Ida later divorced Grandpa. He said she wanted to move back to California where she was from but he wasn’t willing to go. I can remember a teenage son or 2 she had living with them when I visited. The divorce crushed Grandfather. He never returned to the Temple after that he said he didn’t feel worthy to have a temple recommend.

Grandpa was the first Bishop of Inkom, Idaho. He served for 10 years and I think the Fort Hall Indian Reservation was in his ward but it may have been a separate call at a later time but my father talked about him being the bishop to the Indians. He was a successful truck farmer in Inkom. Dad told me that he spent many hours hoeing and picking fruit and vegetables. He told me Grandpa would always pull the radishes and carrots the night before he took them to market so that he could let them soak in the irrigation ditch over night after he washed them. That way they would be extra crisp. Dad was a very fast berry picker, I guess it was because he picked many strawberries and raspberries as a kid. He told me that when they put the berries in the cups he had to put the top ones in in such a way that the stem didn’t show to make them look more attractive. One time when he was taking berries to the market he had an accident and the berries spilled. To avoid waste, he picked them all up and brought them home where his mother washed and canned them before they could spoil. Dad’s Mother died during open heart surgery while he was at college. This effectively ended his college career since he had to come

Grandpa Cardon with my older sister Anna May. Taken on farm in Inkom, ID

home to help his family. His older sister was married but his little sister was just 8 or 9 years old. Dad told me that during the summer after his mother died his sister, Mary, prepared large meals for the harvesting crew. When it was harvest time a farmer had to hire several men to help. At noon they expected to be fed a large dinner of meat and potatoes with vegetables and desert. If they didn’t get a good meal they probably would have looked for other work. Dad said she did it pretty much by her self and did a good job. I am afraid that today most women couldn’t do that even after they were first married.

When I had my farewell sacrament service Grandpa came to Seattle to speak. He did a good job but he talked so long that we had to skip the closing song. The other Ward was waiting to use the chapel.

This entry was posted in Family History, Personal history and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply